Monday, June 7, 2010

It's not meant to be...

Well, I have spent nearly a week in Winnipeg. I exhausted all my options as far as a return trip from York Factory. I just can't get things to work out. I am very confident I can make the paddle to York Factory. There is just no possible way of me getting back. Sadly this means I will have to change my route. Here is a list of all the possibilities I looked into:

Paddle up the Hayes (Current too strong)
Paddle up the Nelson(Dams make current too unpredictable)
Paddle up the Bay to Churchill (illegal and extremely dangerous)
Boat Charter (not in service this year)
Ed Zalinsky's personal boat (not in service this year)
Calm Air (too expensive)
Venture Air (too expensive)
Gillam Air (too expensive)
A pilot I met in Grand Forks (border patrol won't let him cross)
Hike Back (can only carry about 2 weeks worth of food)

Additionally my friends in Winnipeg asked around their friends and family in Northern Manitoba, to no avail.

I don't know of any other way to return from York Factory. However, I am nowhere near ready to be done paddling for the summer. It's been such a blast so far, I want to keep doing it until I have to be in Kansas. So, I have formulated a much more flexible plan:

Paddle up to Norway House on the north end of the lake

From there I can either:
A)hitch a ride to the train, take the train to Churchill, return to Norway House, and paddle back to the south end of the lake B)paddle to Thicket Portage, take the train to churchill, return and paddle back to the south end of the lake, or C) simply paddle back to the south end of the lake

From the South end of Lake Winnipeg, depending on how much time is left in the summer I will either:
A)call it quits B) hang out in Winnipeg again C)paddle the Winnipeg River to Lake of the Woods.

I'm disappointed that I won't finish what I set out to do, but I have experienced so much on this trip already it's impossible to consider it a failure. For my next adventure I will simply have to sell more t-shirts.

I hope to continue updating as my plans become more concrete, but the northern half of Lake Winnipeg is sparsely populated.

Rudy

8 comments:

  1. RUDY. Throw a paypal donation button up here, I bet you could get enough money for a plane ticket. I'd contribute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. relli you are the dude
    thanks for the correspondence.
    safe paddles.
    jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rutherford, We're sorry you don't think you'll be able to complete your trip as planned. If you get a chance, call your dad. His phone works in our new house (mine doesn't always). He wants to talk! :-)

    Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Mad3lyn's idea to put a paypay button up. You can raise enough money quickly. I'll contribute.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't quit. Don't let the possibility of failure prevent you from moving forward. If you make it to York Factory you will have won your objective. The return will work itself out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't stop now Rudy! We will come get you if need be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rudy, hi! This is Jess from down in St. Peter. Since correspondence has been difficult, I have been trying to keep up with your adventures on here.... this post is alarming. You can do it, Rudy. Anonymous is right: the return Will work itself out! If it is what you want to do, go for it. Something or someone will stumble into your life, enabling you to finish. I firmly believe that. Good luck! Please keep me posted.
    Peace,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rudy, you've made it a long ways! I'm excited to hear about the newest plan. Either way, you set out to do something that the vast majority of people never attempt. Safe travels!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete