Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tadaa

Sorry for the lack of updates lately.  I've gone through some amazing country lately that is also fairly remote.  I shot the Winnipeg River in roughly a week.  I cleard Lake of the Woods today and now I'm on the Rainy River in a town called Rainy River.  A nice guy by the name of Bob let me set up a tent in his yard and use his washroom..  Feel almost civilized.

Once again I am very sorry for not finishing what I set out to do.  As of now my route is this:  follow the border to Lake superior, take the shore to duluth.  From there I will try to find a way to the St. CroixRiver and meet back up with the Mississippi and paddle back up to the Crow and finish in Hutchinson.  A gigantic dirty loop around the state.

I'm certain I'll havve enough time to make Dulouth, but after that it is a little close to call.  I've been paddlin some long days lately to make up for the slow weather.  So much of my speed is based on the weather.  I've had to sit out some storms lately that really take a chunk out of thet day.

My sperits are still pretty high.  I've been met with astounding kindness from Canadians.  I can't count how many times I've asked for directions and ended up getting a cold beer and hot supper.  I dig it.  

The country did a dramatic shift from prairie to coniferous forest when I got off Lake Winnipeg.  Nice to hear loons and smell pines.

However, I can feel my sanity slowly creeping away.  I think I'm going to experience some wicked culture shock in August.  I've found myself having some fairrly serious conversations with trees lately...  Nothingn to worry about, I'm sure it's all part of the adventure.

HOpe to update more often.

Rudy

6 comments:

  1. rudy-
    i just learned that new futurama is back on the teevee and the first episode is tomorrow, so i hope you're done with this adventuring stuff by then.

    perhaps i'll be able to meet up with you in duluth if you get a better idea when you'll be there!

    good luck rudy!

    jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Rudy. I really enjoyed reading it. Good luck to you.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you get to Duluth, the Brule River in Wisconsin nearly meets up with the St. Croix. There is a 5-mile portage trail in my home town of Solon Springs that connects the two. It is an ancient trade route. It would upstream along the Brule for about 50 miles. There are some rapids of various size, but much of the rest would be navigable. Once you hit the St. Croix you would have a long ways with the current. I'm sure my dad would come out to help you with the portage. Depending on when it is I might be able to give you a hand or even a lift from Duluth to Solon Springs.
    Take care,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. rudy~

    i think of you alot and check your site often.

    you are a brave and daring young man.

    good luck on this next leg of your adventure!

    ...and don't worry about talking to trees, rudy. it's when they start talking back to you!! THAT'S when you gotta start worrying!!!

    take care...

    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. howdy rudy,

    happy (but not surprised) that you actually went out and made this trip this summer! i'm sure you probably have some amazing stories and not-so-amazing photos of your journey:) i'll be in port in Duluth at the end of July with the tall ships festival, so maybe i'll see you while i'm out celebrating my birthday at the most inland port in the world!

    fair seas (or rivers!)

    -tenley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rudy, So glad that you are making the best of your situation. I'm in a new study group for the summer and we lift your needs for safe travel and health for the continuation of your journey. Remember you do not travel alone and you have someone besides the the trees to talk to. Blessing to you on all your paddling.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete