Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Granite Falls

Howdy

I'm spending the rest of today in Granite Falls (and tomorrow actually). I got a very kind and hospitable family to stay with. I've already met the mayor and got plans to be interviewed by the local paper.

Paddling has been kinda rough lately. The wind and rain really haven't let up in the past two weeks. I've decided not to paddle when it's what I call "really hard rain". I tipped about a week ago and thankfully it was a sunny day otherwise I wouldn't have dried out very quickly. If I tip when the rain and wind are coming down hard it's likely to turn into an emergency situation what with the hypothermia and all. Despite the weather, my spirits haven't been dampered. There is so much adventure to be had.

I did get a letter from KU saying orientation is a week earlier than I originally planned. This cuts off a week on an already time crunched trip. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and make up some of this lost time on the Red River.

All in all I'm having a great time. I really appreciate all the comments written on the blog and I'm thinking about friends and family back in Hutch town.

And a note on writing letters: if they are sent "express mail" the post office will only hold them for 5 days.

Peace,

Rutherford

9 comments:

  1. Way to Go Rudy
    Stay Dry be safe
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY RUDY!! Let me know when to meet up with you. I'll be waiting with a smile on my face. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rudy,
    Glad to hear you're doing well and that your spirits are high.
    Paddle on...
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet says, Hey Rudy so glad to read the update on the blog. We continue to pray in all our mtg times for your safety and health. I'm thankful your dip in the river didn't turn into anything dangerous.I'm thankful for your good attitude and the provisions being made for you in Granite Falls. Happy Paddling:)!! Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're thinking of you every day, Rudy! Glad to hear of your progress. Love, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rudy,
    Way to go! I hope the journey continues to move along and you have a safe adventure.
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many people are anxious to hear about your adventures. You really have a lot of support here at Z's and in H-town. We hope you can feel the love as the river flows on by. You are most definitely in our thoughts... paddle on! Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  8. We got your postcard today. Reagan wanted to know what those moose were doing, she finally decided that they were just really thirsty. Glad you are having fun :)

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Granite stones are available in hundreds of colours, in variety of shades and textures of black, white, browns, blues, reds, greens etc.

    ReplyDelete