Wednesday, July 14, 2010

North Shore?....you betcha

7-14-10

I got to Two harbors yesterday around noon. The wind was making some killer waves. Fun to play in for a while, but as the day went on they got bigger and more dangerous. I decided to pull ashore a few miles up from the town and wait it out.

I ended up meeting some nice folks who lodged me up for the night and gave me some great hospitality. As luck would have it a storm covered most of today as well. So, I decided to spend today here too. I needed the day off anyway. My body has been askin for a day of rest for a while now.

The north shore has been an amazing paddle. The cliffs along the shore are stunning. They can be a bit imposing at times; when you're lookin for a spot to land. I've always appreciated the view from on top of the cliffs, but looking up from the water is something spectacular as well. I strongly recommend anyone who has the gumption and a kayak availble to spend some time on the north shore.

I've been taking my time to do some exploring along the way. There are so many beaches that are only reachable by canoe or kayak. As a result, most of them haven't been picked over for agates in months. I took quite a few breaks to enjoy the private beach and do a spot of agate hunting myself. I got a nice little bundle built up.

The cooler temperatures are a most welcome change. Anyone who has been to Lake Superior knows the drastic temperature difference caused by the lake. The temp can be 20F degrees colder by the lake than elswhere. Which is just great for a person like me who sleeps better in the cold. I've had to camp out on rock beaches almost every night and even with the rocks as pillows I zonk out with ease.

Perhaps the best part is the fact that the cooler temps and constant breeze make the mosquitoes virtually non-exsitant! On the Grand Portage I was literally inhaling them (extra protein I guess). Now I'm able to enjoy the stars in peace. What a relief, I really can't put it in words properly.

On the down side of things, I hit a major milestone about 3 days ago. I am sick of peanut butter... I've had to choke down my last few lunches. In some ways I suppose I'm lucky I lasted this long, but peanut butter and I are no longer on speaking terms. I have about a week's worth of the stuff left and after that I simply can't buy it anymore.

My mental state has returned to normal I feel. This day off brought back all the parts of my sanity I left in the bush. Amazing what friendly faces and modern conveinces can do. The people of the north shore have been very kind to me.

I hope to paddle out tomorrow and from here the plan is this:

hit the Bois-Brule River in about 2 days

paddle up its 44 miles

take the portage trail Eric mentioned to the St. Croix River

St. Croix to Mississippi

Mississippi to Crow

Crow back to Hutch!

All in all it's roughly 400 miles. I'm saying a finishing date the first week in August. That is also the time I have to be in Kansas, so I'll have to be done no matter what...

I'm beginning to realize that I'm almost done. I don't know what to think about that yet. Part of me wants to be done and part of me wants to go on forever. I've been doing it for so long that it seems strange to stop. This has been a spectacular summer. I feel so fortunate to be doing what I'm doing. I'm also very excited to start my graduate education. It's probably for the best that I have something to look forward to, otherwise I may indeed just keep paddlin.

Not sure when I'll be able to update next. Might not be until I'm on the Mississippi. Until then,

happy trails
Rutherford

5 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for your return, Rudy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rudy, You are a quite the traveler with all the canoeing and portaging. I can't imagine what I would feel like on those portages that are miles long nor how I could face the same menu day after day. However the same food is better than no food. I just heard a speaker tell of their experience in Haiti where people are begging for food or digging in the garbage. Again glad to hear of all the nice people you've come in contact with on your journey at just the right times. We will continue to think of you at our meetings on Wed. Keep on enjoying the beautiful creation and happy paddling. Janet Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our group passed by you on the Bois Brule on Saturday, July 17th, near the mouth of it!! You looked strong!! Awesome job!! Easy to tell it was you as we don't see many people going upstream!! Happy paddling!! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I can't even imagine disliking peanut butter. You must be eating a lot of it. Hopefully one day though you will be able to enjoy it again :)

    I'm glad to see that this grand adventure is going well. It has been really fun to keep checking in to see where you will be next! If you need a spot to crash in the Twin Cities when/if you come through, just let me know!

    Safe travels!!

    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rudy! We continue to follow your progress and think of you every day. Hope we're around when you pass through Coon Rapids again. Would love to see you paddle by even if you can't slow down to stay a while. Thinking of you...Sandy, Paul, Cam and Em.

    ReplyDelete