Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mississippi Ri-ver

Hello

I am currently on the Mississippi. I am lodging with a friend from high school. So much has happened since the last post... too much to put it all down right now. It's past midnight here, which is way past my bedtime these days. Here's a short summary.

I paddled on the St. Croix with some new friends who were paddling the entire river. It was nice to meet up with someone who is in somewhat of the same mindset as me.

A few days afterward I got some great hospitality from some kind folks in Hidden Harbor Marina. Sometimes it is really hard to believe that I have gotten so much kindness these past three months.

And then today I made it to Watergate Marina, which is about a mile upriver from the mouth of the Minnesota River. This means I'm now paddling water I've already been on. Crazy huh? I stopped by the marina and said hi to a boater I met three months ago. Hard to believe he recognized me.

It took me 3 days to get to this point going with the current, so I figure it'll take at least twice as long to do it late summer going against the current. I'm a little worried about the Crow being so low I'll have to walk most of it. If I have to I have to I suppose.

I am saying a tentative end date on either August 4th or 5th. This'll give me a week to find a place in Lawrence. The past 3 months I haven't known where I'm sleeping at night, so I don't think it'll be an issue.

Happy Trails,
Rudy

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rudy, Thinking of you and wondering how it is going. You made it safe thus far, so I am sure not much to worry about. You are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to MN! What a great story you have experienced these last 3 months. I wonder about the little bracelet the SS class made for you. I am going to make one for your brother when he leaves for his deployment this month. I hope the Crow River is higher than what you are expecting and the bugs are less. Keep on paddling!! Janet Anderson

    ReplyDelete